Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The picture

It wasn't until I got the funeral notice that I decided to look at the picture. I'm wallowing in guilt.

For the last several months, we've had prayer requests in our church bulletin for a young woman whose name was vaguely familiar. She was undergoing chemotherapy and it sounded like the usual bouts with chemo sickness. But this past week she passed away. During church prayer, there was an audible gasp when the pastor asked for comfort for her husband.

I'm grateful she knew the Lord as her savior, but horribly guilty that I never bothered to follow up on visiting or sending a note or calling ... anything! When I got the funeral notice, I opened up the pictorial directory and gasped myself. This was a couple who was in our membership class at church. I should have known them much better. I should have called her. Known why her name sounded familiar. Cared!!!

I feel like scum. I really have no excuse for leaving her and her husband high and dry in a time of crisis. Will there be a next time? Get the picture?