Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

I'm a Compulsive Overeater

And so Ingrid and I went to a meeting last night, at an undisclosed location, with a secret name, and anonymous participants.

I already know I have an eating problem, careening from tight discipline to total food abandon. Sounds disgusting, doesn't it? Well, it probably isn't doing much for my body, either. Last year I lost 54 pounds, only to "find" 35 of them already. Hey, pounds! Keep hiding, would you???

My trouble is not knowledge - I've used almost every diet known to man and woman, and even led groups. So it would be mega humbling to have to join this group that sounded weird at best. It is too God "light" for me.

I'm so disappointed that Gwen Shamblin took a nose dive in popularity and theology, because her program truly was the best around. And so, if I close my eyes to what she does with her theology on Sundays, can I go back and use her program? A program that isn't really a formula, but acknowledging that food worship is idolatry, and asking Jesus for strength with each minute and bite.

You see, this problem is more insidious than alcoholism or drug abuse, because those aren't things you HAVE to have to live each day. But we HAVE to eat. And overeating seems to be the sin that we all wink at and actively indulge in at every opportunity.

What's the answer?