Search This Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Avatars Need not Apply!

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the prevalence of New Age polytheism creeping into our everyday vernacular? Frankly, I'm sick of it.

I actually quit the Nutrisystem site due to the fact that they wanted me to "choose an avatar" to represent me. No thanks!

And this morning, on the Fast Company blog I was greeted with touting Bank of America because they have "hired an avatar" - note this line: Despite Becker's reluctance to discuss specifics of his careers site, here's what I like about it:

You're greeted by a video-based avatar of an actual bank employee who introduces you to the site. Despite the otherworldliness of an avatar, it has a warm feel to it.


Wake up, people! Perhaps you need a primer on what an avatar is... but then, anyone but a Christian (or perhaps a Muslim or Jew) wouldn't really care.

Avatar: (this is directly from an advocate of avatars) An Avatara is a personal form of the Supreme Being and innumerable such divine forms reside in an eternal spiritual realm. When a personal form of God descends from that higher dimensional realm to the material world, He (or She) is known as an incarnation, or Avatara.

We're talking demons here, folks! At the very least, we're talking polytheistic worship.

From a more innocuous source: (Webster dictionary) The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.

And don't get me started on Yoga...