Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Baby, baby!

Please don't read this if you a) think "birth stories" are sappy or b) have dastardly intentions of where to post it.

A few short weeks ago, our youngest-born, Ingrid (known to the family as Pee-Wee), called me. This is not unusual. She and I enjoy chatting. As a matter of fact, we come from a long line of mother-daughter chatters. But I digress. She was concerned because she was "late" and this was not an expected event. I asked her about symptoms, and sure enough they sounded like an early pregnancy. She left for the local discount store to stock up on twin-pink-stripe tests and upon her return called me again.

Nebulous.

Okay, try again. Tears, sobbing. I was a bit concerned, not knowing where her emotions were headed, so I asked (duh!) "What's wrong?" Her reply was heard between the sobs and deserves to be "inked" for the baby: I'm just so happy!

I, the now beaming grandma (oh, wow!)-to-be, became an instant research machine. Oh, yes, I was pregnant and gave birth to three healthy children, but was there anything new these days? Bodies and babies haven't changed. But philosophies and birthing centers have. Hold on, because this is going to be a long blog ...

Now headed into her 15/16th weeks, Ingrid and Andy have already seen that little baby kicking via two ultrasounds. First time moms are often afraid of every little twinge and pain, and there was the complication of hypothyroid condition, so the doctor complied and everyone is ecstatic. Within the next few weeks, they intend to have the "let's see who and what you are" ultrasound. Ingrid is adamant about dressing and decorating gender-appropriately. I, on the other hand, enjoyed the surprise each time a new little cry greeted me. Both work well, I can see.

This is where the tree will branch. I have orally given my kids their birth stories, because I think it is special to know that your mom thinks your birth was special. (and you all are, by the way!!!) In content, this will be nothing new for you guys, but thought you might want it in writing. Especially Ingrid. And I apologize in advance, because I'm going to assume we are all adults and can handle the rigors of the birthing experience.

Why especially Ingrid? Because she is the first one to give birth, and also because she will have inherited some of my birthing experience, quite literally. I was reading on one of the pregnancy websites that if a soon-to-deliver mom wants the best indication of what her labor will be like, ask her own birth mother. My own mother had fairly short labors: out of three births, longest was five hours; and mine were even shorter: my longest active labor was three hours. The reason I mention "active" labor is because that is when I realized I was in labor. There is the possibility, quite likely, that I was in labor before that, but hey, if you don't even know you're in labor, that doesn't count, right?

From here, you (meaning Marshall, Adam and Ingrid) can go directly to your own birthing stories, if you like. I won't put them all in this long, drawn out blog. Aren't I considerate? Next?