Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2008

Calling Mister Prasil, Calling Mister Joe Prasil

My first high school experience was in a DoD school (Department of Defense) in Japan. Johnson High School, to be exact. DoD schools are very careful about the teachers they hire - at least they were back when I was in high school.

So when I took English Lit my sophomore year with Mr. J J Prasil, I learned a LOT! We took apart, symbol by symbol, F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby. Colors, names, images, themes, you name it, we came away with layer upon layer of meaning.

That's why I'm looking for Mr. Prasil today. Last night we went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, also by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Wouldn't you know, the main female character's name is the same as the main female character in Great Gatsby.... hmmmm. What does one make of that? Also, the entire premise of life lived backwards has some real ideas to chew on.

So, I either need to hear what Mr. Prasil thought of this movie (and how closely it resembles the short story - because the movie is decidedly NOT short), or I need to find the Cliff notes. Or I'll be chewing on these ideas for a long, long time!