Search This Blog

Thursday, May 05, 2016

This Little Piggy ...

It seemed appropriate for me to add this note from Mom Sawyer’s musings, since Ingrid and I took four kids to a working farm today. 

While I was growing up, our family lived on a 2 acre farm. We had rows of strawberries, raspberries, corn, and beans. My sister and I received a penny a row for weeding the garden.

During WWII, my folks added rabbits and chickens. I really didn’t like those chickens. They were noisy and messy and didn’t have enough sense to come in out of the rain.

Then Dad brought home a little pig. He was so cute! We just loved him. We fed him before going to school [every day]. He always grunted enthusiastically.

Of course, he got bigger and bigger.

One day Dad said it was time to kill our pig. I couldn’t imagine such a thing, but when I got home from school, our pig was gone.

From then on, whenever Mom put pork on the table, my sister and I turned into vegetarians.