Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Books, books, and more books!

I am not a speed reader. I digest my books.

When I was in school, I learned skimming tricks, and outlining, and all the key idea grabbing techniques. But you can't do that with fiction.

In fiction, if an author is worth their weight in words, every thought needs to count. So skimming is a dangerous practice.

Right now I'm reading through Pearl in the Sand, by Tessa Afshar. It is getting rave reviews, and it is to my benefit to like it (since I *ahem* work for the publisher). I'm not normally a romance reader, so we'll see how this goes.

I have a stack of mostly fiction by my bedside, and as soon as I am finished with one, I stack it near the door...to either send it on to my voracious-reading-relatives or to our church. Someone is about to get a whole bag full! Any takers?