Search This Blog

Friday, August 08, 2008

recognition

Last night, Ashley and Amberleigh came over while their mommy and daddy went on a date to see Wall-E. Mommy and Daddy came in separate vehicles: Daddy on his motorcycle and Mommy bringing the girls.

(Amberleigh will be one year old on August 21. She is motoring around via her hands and knees quite a bit now, so we have to watch her like a hawk.)

When her Daddy walked into the kitchen after parking his cycle, Amberleigh's eyes lit up, she kicked her feet (she was sitting in her high chair at the time), and she started playing peek a boo and babbling. She was recognizing her Daddy and so excited to see him!

A few days ago an email was traveling around with 52 questions on it, getting to know family and friends by some seemingly innocuous queries. I love getting those things, although it takes some time to actually fill them out.

When I got Lara's responses, some made me smile and some made me sad. Sadness because I recognize their pain, and also some very Nana-focused sadness. To "Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with us?" this was Lara's response...
- Timmy is smiling and giggling with people that he knows.

Viewed from southern California, that is indeed an exciting turn of events. Viewed from Chicago, however, that becomes very sad. I am not one of those people he knows. It makes me want to weep. Marshall and Lara have an incredible set of support people around them who love them and care for their daily needs. Consequently, those people are more like family than we are. And that makes me very sad. Timmy may very likely perk up when he sees a church member but not when he sees his Nana and Papa.

I can't take this personally, but it is really hard. And I'm going to have to save my pennies so that I can fly out there more often and be one of those people that he recognizes as loving him and praying for him and singing to him.