Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Tiptoe through the Minefields

Scripture warns me to speak the truth with all gentleness and reverence. Now, I believe that is speaking about sharing the Gospel, but what about everyday things? And why am I so afraid of offending someone that I don't just talk about what I'm feeling and thinking?

The pendulum swings both ways, though. What about when I get so blunt that I cut the receiver to the quick? Which is why I walk through minefields all the time. I'm always second guessing how the receiver will hear my words, and therefore making mental edits until what I intended to say no longer exists!

The NEXT generation seems to be blunt to the extreme. Where are the healthy inhibitions? Where is caring about the hearer? And then how do I propose things without sounding like I'm invading personal space?

Your thoughts?