Search This Blog

Saturday, November 06, 2004

Underwater Birth

Hahahaha. I'll bet I got your attention on that one! Actually, I'm speaking about my breakfast... sorry.

Pomegranate sounds downright decadent, doesn't it? When I was in fourth grade, I remember meeting friends behind the schoolhouse at lunchtime or recess and digging into an exotic treat -- a pomegranate. Now, how we got such an exotic fruit in Conrad, Montana, I'll never know. Unless you did it just right, it was a fairly messy thing to open and eat. I have since gained some experience in this skill. So this blog qualifies as a fluff piece today. Never hurts to have something that takes the mind off current events or the cares of the day, like a post regarding the optimum way of mining a pomegranate!

First off, there are some real benefits to eating a pomegranate, not the least of which it will cure your curiosity about this biblically mentioned fruit. One serving size (fruit exchange) of a pomegranate is 1/2 cup. Doesn't sound like much until you start taking one of these babies apart, and then you realize that there are a LOT of seeds in a pomegranate. Oh, did I mention that what you are eating is seeds? Covered by a watery reddish pulp. AND pomegranates are high in fiber. Ahem, we all know that fiber is good for us, do we not? The size fruit I got will last me for two servings it appears.

As for the flavor, well, it is close to an original SweeTart. And from there it is mostly crunch. In other words, not high on the flavor scale.

Pomegranate seeds are used mainly for snacking and for garnish. It really dresses up the top of a tossed or fruit salad. And once you've peeled a pomegranate, you will henceforth appreciate those seeds when they appear on your salad!

  • Fill a medium to large bowl with cold water.
  • Make shallow cuts from stem end to other end, so that you have "quartered" the pomegranate. I say shallow because if you cut too deeply you will ruin the seeds.
  • From here on out, you will be birthing the pomegranate seeds underwater (hah! get the connection now?)
  • Pull apart the fruit in quarters.
  • Carefully pry the quarters to expose the seeds.
  • With the end of your thumb or other fingers (don't use fingernails or you will pierce the seeds) "roll" the seeds into the water.
  • The light colored membrane that holds the pomegranate will float to the surface if you have separated it well from the seeds. Discard all but the seeds.
  • Strain the seeds and cover again with cold water.
  • You may store them like this, or strain what you need for your snack or garnish.

Bon Appetit! And I just had my fruit for breakfast.