Search This Blog

Saturday, December 16, 2023

Father Knows Best


Who remembers the old TV program, Father Knows Best? Our family watched it from time to time. You just don’t see families like that on TV anymore. Ah, but I digress.

It’s been several days since I felt like logging any activity, and frankly I don’t really feel like it right now. But here goes.

First off, how can I even begin to enumerate the friends and family who have been praying for me? It is humbling. THANK YOU, each and every one!

Secondly, having Mark and Ingrid be my eyes, ears, mouth, during the whole process has been so incredibly helpful. I appreciate them so much! If you are on FB (or perhaps Instagram), you are no doubt up to speed on the happenings of the last five days or so.

Thirdly, although they will probably never see this, I want to publicly thank my surgical team and hospital team. God was so good to get me in to a specialty surgeon. This particular surgeon is so well known around the hospital that he has his own set of supplies to treat his patients, lovingly called “The Salti Pack.” He has hand chosen a wing of the hospital to care for his patients. Thank You, Lord, for good care.

Okay, so when we make a Christmas list, we’d like everything on it, but don’t always get what we want. Father knows best. The surgery was more complicated than expected. But the mucocele DID stay intact, praise God! As of yet, we don’t know about malignancy, so still praying that God would be merciful and gracious with this request. Other than some nausea, I didn’t have major concerns with the anesthetic. 

It takes a while for the digestive system to “wake up” after a surgery like this. I’m still in a slight bit of pain, but I get a really cool cover for my incision, as well as a waist binder to hold me together (I admittedly was singing “Breath of Heaven, Hold Me Together” from time to time.) Please pray for the nausea to abate and that I can tolerate what I need for nourishment.

For the time being, my diet has to be very restrictive: all soft foods for at least a month. That’s quite a shift from what I’ve been eating, so care is the name of the game. We’re trying to think of things that fit this new requirement. 

I am thankful to be home. Thankful for electric recliners! And thankful for Christmas music. 

As I have to constantly preach to myself about shifting the “what ifs” to “even ifs”, I also have to remind myself that Father Knows Best!