Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Life in the Balance

I cannot weigh 2009 in a balance and come up with any semblance of equality or tipping.

The hurts were deep, but the joys were soaring. And to say that one would outweigh the other is not going to work. Life just doesn’t work that way.

I get a visual of a giant hand shaking a tray of hilly sand. Once shaken, it all levels out. As a literary device it might work for some illustrations, but not for the emotions and spiritual lessons of a year like 2009.

Death was waiting at the doorstep in January. And yet in February, a job of mammoth proportions was given out.

Anxious waiting and financial stresses. And yet the year ended with two new grandsons, beautiful and healthy.

No, you can’t shake this year down and make it level. But my favorite Bible verse still applies. I love it. I cling to it. I repeat it even when I don’t believe it.
Romans 8:28 (NASB) And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Out with the old. In with the new. And trusting God for making me into the image of His Son!

Tips the balance every time.