Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2022

I’d Rather Dye!


Why in the world would I be showing you this silver streak down the top of my head? I’ll admit that I’m vain when it comes to the color of my hair. Kudos to my friends who rock the gray, but I’m not there yet.

You see, this particular gray streak is important to me.

In July of 2018, I was diagnosed with breast cancer and had a single mastectomy that same month. God is good no matter what. He walked me through that, providing family and professionals along the way. And I got through it without chemotherapy … all hair follicles intact.

In December of 2021, I had the obligatory mammogram. The images came back “inconclusive.” A survivor doesn’t like to hear or see those words. So I was scheduled for another mammogram at the beginning of January 2022.

“Distortion.”  Now scheduled for a followup ultrasound that same day. 

“The radiologist will meet with you shortly.” Oh great…

BI-RADS 4A. This is a designation of how concerned the radiologist is that the findings may be cancerous. The last time I had a BI-RADS number, it was 5. You don’t want a 5.

So now I would be scheduled for a breast biopsy on January 27. Unlike my previous ultrasound biopsy in 2018, this one has to be done at the hospital with a different type of machine: Stereotactic Mammogram-Guided Biopsy.  (linked if you are curious)

At that point my mind started going in all directions. All the “what ifs” that I’ve been through before, and yet I was at peace with the “whatever comes.” 

One of the “what ifs” would be malignancy. And next step would be “what if chemotherapy?” 

And that brings me to this picture. I had determined that either a) I’d be declared NED (no evidence of disease) and schedule a much needed hair appointment OR b) I’d be told I have a malignancy and need surgery and/or chemotherapy. If so, I’d hold off on dyeing my hair, because … what if it will all fall out anyway?

I went through the biopsy. Not horrible, and the staff are always so compassionate. They told me I should receive the pathology report within 2 business days. 

About 20 minutes ago I got the notification of test results coming through My Chart. I stopped. I prayed. God prepared me for whatever I would read there. I opened up the My Chart test results and read:

-No evidence of malignancy in the submitted material.

And now we breathe a huge sigh of relief … and make a hair appointment!!!

Thank You, Lord! In the meantime, would you pray for a friend of mine who will be going through mastectomy surgery this Friday? Whether God takes us AROUND the challenge or THROUGH it, we can trust Him.